Grid ref SE121119
Honley Old Wood consists of a small quarry, a few edges and a rather good slab. The quarry and edges have a number of low grade boulder problems and do not see much traffic, most problems could do with a good clean.
The slab would hold it's own in any bouldering venue and has an easy problem and the classic Paul's Peach, well worth a visit to tick.
From the centre of Honley village go up Scotgate then left onto Hassocks Lane. Park at the end by the gate and walk through the wood on your right keeping the fench on your left until the path drops down steeply to the bottom of the wood. Keep going for about 50m then head left through the trees to arrive at the quarry.
An easy to print PDF TOPO guide to all the problems can be downloaded from here
Click on the camera icon to view images of the problems being climbed or click on the video icon to view videos of the problems being climbed.
Hovering your mouse over, or clicking on, the name/grade of the problem will show the problem highlighted on the topo photograph below.
Sector A - Honley Old Wood Quarry
1) Font 3 Climb the broken wall, keeping to the right of the tree further up
2) Font 3 Up the arete direct
3) Font 3 Climb the side wall again keeping a tree on the left
4) Font 4 From a sitting start crimp your way up the centre of the wall
5) Font 3 Climb up the ledges
6) Font 3 Climb the arete on its right.
Sector B - Honley Old Wood Edge - 30m to the right of the quarry
7) Font 4 Mantle the obvious nose, watch out for the bad landing
8) Font 3 Up the centre of the wall
9) Font 3 Make your way up the slabby arete
10) Font 5 From a sitting start at the centre of the overhang use the crack to access the upper arete
11) Font 3 Climb the arete
12) Font 3 Make your way up the dirty wall without using the ledges
13) Font 6a Sit start in the cave moving up to the hole and then escape left
14) Font 5+ Sit start again but move up to the ledge and then escape right
15) Font 4 The easy slabby wall, either top out through the undergrowth or escape right along the ledge
16) Font 3 Another slabby wall
17) Various Font 4 to Font 6a There a plenty of options for traversing the cave of varying difficulty.
Sector C - The Hidden Slab - 200m right and downhill from the previous problems
18) TENTATIVE STEPS - Font 4 The first problem on the good slab goes up the middle then left near the top
19) PAUL'S PEACH - Font 6b+ Boldy climb the slab to the question mark flake then make the top via the dish. Worthwhile
Photographs and videos of any problems are more than welcome and can be included on the site.
Details of new problems and opinions on grades will be gratefully received, see the Contact button at the top right of this page or click here